A widower recalled how his wife was "delirious and spaced out", having lost a lot of blood after giving birth.

James Ramirez, 37, told London's Southwark Coroner's Court that he has concerns over the care of his wife Gillian Nelson, 34, who died after complications arose with the birth of their son Wesley on January 28 2014.

He was called to the Princess Royal University Hospital in Bromley, Kent, at about 3.45am after she had gone in to labour. She had given birth by the time he arrived at 4.25am.

Asked by Jonathan Holl-Allen, representing the Ramirez family, about how he found his wife after birth, Mr Ramirez said: "I would say she was delirious, spaced out, obviously tired. She was pale. Somewhat reassuringly she had blood on her T-shirt which would suggest she had the chance to hold Wesley. She was babbling a little bit."

He stayed in the room with his wife until she was taken to theatre at about 6.30am. He could recall there was "a blur" of staff but felt their manner was professional but there were "no alarms going off".

There had been blood loss and there were about nine people in the room, he said.

The court was told that Ms Nelson, a businesswoman, had been admitted for an induced delivery at Princess Royal University Hospital, where she gave birth but was suffering bleeding.

She had multiple cardiac arrests and was taken to theatre for a hysterectomy.

Mr Ramirez told the court that it was only about 30-40 minutes after his wife left the room to go in to theatre that he realised how serious the situation had become.

He noted that at one point his wife was turned on her side and "there was a flood of blood on the bed" which left a stain the size of a double A4 -sided sheet of paper on the covers.

It was "clear she was bleeding heavily", he claimed, adding "she was quite pale and clammy, paler than usual".

She was later moved to King's College Hospital (KCH) in Denmark Hill, south-east London, where the family was told she needed a liver transplant.

The family were later told that they "were out of options" and Ms Nelson died on February 2.

Mr Ramirez, who had gone to the family home in Sydenham, south-east London, to await a call to say that his wife had gone in to labour, told the court: "From my understanding of the documents and statements we have seen, it does seem there was some gaps in her monitoring which obviously does leave me with the question of what would have happened if I had stayed?"

He said that he hoped the inquest would not become a "forum for belittling" all of the care that his wife received.

He said: "Both Gillian and myself have been strong supporters of the NHS. It would be my hope that this is not a forum for belittling the intention of the care that she was provided - certainly the family has seen excellent care in King's College Hospital where she was transferred, and seen a real intention to make sure that Gillian survived.

"We have seen some excellent support but we are really concerned about understanding what happened to Gillian rather than casting blame on any particular member of staff or anything of that nature."