THE sun’s rays reflecting off a shaving mirror and onto a curtain is believed to have been the cause of a house fire in Bicester.

Three fire engines and 18 firefighters were called to the blaze in a back bedroom of a house in Lily Close at 9.50am on Friday.

No-one was at home at the time and neighbours were unaffected.

Firefighters were alerted by neighbours who saw smoke coming from a window.

Crew manager Douglas Whitford from Bicester Fire Station said: “Although the house was fitted with working smoke alarms it was very fortunate the neighbours spotted the smoke and immediately dialled 999 otherwise the damage could have been a lot worse.”

Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was quickly brought under control as a fire engine arrived within minutes and immediately deployed a crew wearing breathing apparatus who used a high pressure hose.

A Fire and Emergency Support Services unit supplied by the Red Cross also attended the scene.