When their library was under threat of closure in 1986, villagers were not prepared to give up without a fight. They were determined to adopt any means to defend it – even a dog joined the protest.

Pupils who feel like burning down their school had their chance in 1979. The old Victorian school, where generations of children were taught before a new church school was built, was being demolished and bits of wood from the old building came in handy for a November 5 bonfire. The middle picture shows Robert Young, left, and Christian Hale taking away a barrow-load.

The village almshouses, built in 1591 for five widows, had fallen into disuse and were put up for sale in 1962. Mr T A Butler, clerk to the trustees, is seen outside the building in the bottom picture with two trustees, the Rev HM Norton, the vicar of Brill, and Mr M J Cook.