Well-known builder, rugby enthusiast and magistrate Henry John has died aged 69.

Mr John, who liked to be called by his middle name Aubrey, died on January 23 following a heart bypass.

He was born in Lisburn, Northern Ireland, on March 12 1942. After a move to Oxford he attended Headington Quarry Infants’ School and on passing his 11-plus moved to Southfield Grammar School.

On leaving school, Mr John took an apprenticeship with FJ Minns & Co in Oxford.

He qualified as a building surveyor and worked for two national companies before starting his own successful building firm HA John Developments Ltd in 1971, with offices in Oxford and Maidenhead. He also opened insurance offices in Headington, Beaumont Street, and Cowley.

Mr John’s sporting love was rugby. When the Old Oxford Citizens and the Old Southfieldians merged to form the Oxford Old Boys, he played well into his 40s and captained the first team on numerous occasions.

He also served as chairman and president, developing the club into a strong force.

Mr John oversaw the clubhouse rebuild in Marston Ferry Road in 1981, which he visited on a regular basis to watch his grandson Joseph play rugby for the under-11s.

Probably his proudest rugby moment was when he led the Oxford Old Boys to victory against the strong Oxford RFC side in the Oxfordshire RFU Knockout Cup Final on February 24, 1974. He became a magistrate in 1986.

Mr John is survived by wife Veronica, children Nicola and Jacquii, and grandchildren Rhys, Joseph and Hannah. His funeral, in All Saints’ Church, Highfield, on February 6, was attended by more than 400 people.