AN “ABSOLUTE menace” with 178 previous offences to his name stole an Oxford City footballer’s car – and drove it at up to 100mph around the city.

Jayson Nutt burgled the changing rooms at the club’s Court Place Farm ground, in Marston, and pinched the keys to Wayne Blossom’s Vauxhall Astra.

He then drove off in the defender’s car before being pursued around the bypass by police, driving on the wrong side of the road and taking several roundabouts the wrong way.

The 38-year-old, who has a 20-page criminal record containing 43 convictions for 178 offences, was arrested in Harefields, in Cutteslowe, after crashing into a tree.

He was jailed for 32 months at Oxford Crown Court on Friday after admitting burglary, aggravated vehicle-taking, dangerous driving and driving without insurance and while disqualified.

Cathy Olliver, prosecuting, said Nutt was seen on a bicycle at Court Place Farm at about 8pm on April 7 before entering the changing rooms and taking Mr Blossom’s rucksack, BlackBerry phone and car keys.

Miss Olliver said: “Police picked him up in the car on Donnington Bridge Road, driving at about 40mph weaving in and out of light traffic.”

After turning left into Abingdon Road, Nutt crossed Kennington and Boars Hill roundabouts before joining the western bypass “travelling at speeds of 90 to 100mph”.

The defendant, who had only been released from prison days earlier, then moved into the outside lane near Pear Tree, before swerving back to the slip road to take the junction.

Heading towards Kidlington, he “went the wrong way round the roundabout and the wrong way down the A4260”, Miss Olliver said.

At that point police called off their active pursuit and “just followed with sirens to warn oncoming motorists”.

Nutt again went the wrong way round the roundabout near Sainsbury’s at Kidlington before heading towards Cutteslowe, where he eventually crashed.

Lucy Tapper, defending, said her client had “suffered an awful lot of sadness in his life”.

She said his partner of 10 years died two years ago and their son had previously died of cot death.

She said Nutt, who has epilepsy, hepatitis C and cannot work, was previously a drug addict.

“It was probably his epilepsy medication that caused him to drive in such a manner,” she added.

Judge Mary Jane Mowat said: “Despite your personal difficulties, the court’s primary concern is the safety of the public. You clearly are an absolute menace on the roads.”

Nutt was banned from driving for 10 years.