OXFORD and Headington United supporters of long-standing will no doubt remember some of these faces.

They were among the 14 players who took to the field at the start of the 1958-9 season, just before Headington United became Oxford United.

The pictures come from Ron Tombs, of Farm Road, Abingdon, and were published in the club’s official handbook, which cost a shilling.

Mr Tombs, who has kept a copy of the handbook, writes: “This was the year that the Beech Road stand was opened by the mayor.”

  • For all 14 faces see today's Oxford Mail.