FRESH forensic evidence could lead detectives to the killer of an Oxford taxi driver two decades after he was murdered.

Police used the 20th anniversary of Leonard Gomm’s murder to announce they have uncovered new evidence.

The body of Mr Gomm was discovered on the grass verge in Hampton Gay Lane, near Bletchingdon, four hours after he set out to take a customer to Bicester on June 13, 1990.

The 75-year-old father-of-three, from Forest Hill, near Wheatley, had been stabbed.

But now police believe they may have a breakthrough.

Last night the police and Mr Gomm’s three daughters made an appeal for anyone who knows anything about his death to finally come forward.

Det Supt Barry Halliday, head of the Thames Valley Police major crime review team, declined to reveal what the new forensic evidence was, but said it would allow police to rule out anyone not involved.

He said: “Members of the public can be assured this evidence will allow us to eliminate anyone not responsible from our inquiries.

“Even the smallest piece of information they have, even if they think it is insignificant, may help us find the person responsible.

“I do not want to go into the details of what the evidence is, but I can say it is clear forensic evidence which is quite substantial.”

Mr Gomm’s body was discovered at 10.50am on Wednesday June 13, 1990, by lorry driver David Crisp.

The taxi driver’s blue Ford Granada – registration A592 ARD – was five yards from his body. Mr Gomm had radioed his employers, ABC Taxis in Oxford, at 6.35am to say he was taking a fare to Bicester.

Two witnesses saw the victim driving his taxi at that time and saw that he had a passenger with him.

Det Supt Halliday said: “The motive is still unclear.

Money was still in the cashbox of the taxi.

“Robbery has not been completely ruled out, but there could be other reasons.”

Mr Gomm had celebrated his 46th wedding anniversary with his wife Gwendoline a month before he was killed.

Dozens of cabbies were in convoy at his funeral, held in his home village.

Det Supt Halliday said someone living nearby may know what happened to Mr Gomm that day.