Angry mum Kim Charlton has lashed out at the sentence given to her daughter's boyfriend for the death crash that killed her.

Andrew Northover, 20, was given 50 hours' community service and a year's driving ban after being convicted of dangerous driving by Abingdon magistrates.

But Mrs Charlton, of Newnham Green, Crowmarsh, said the sentence was too lenient and added: "Fifty hours' community service is almost a slap in the face - a slap in our face, not Andrew's. A year's ban is not enough for taking a life."

Her 18-year-old daughter Rebecca died at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford a day after the accident, which happened in fog by a roundabout on Hithercroft Way, Wallingford, last November.

Northover, 20, of High Street, Chalgrove, denied dangerous driving but was also ordered to pay £100 costs and told to take an extended driving test before getting behind the wheel again.

He and Rebecca were going to a paintballing event in Reading at the time of the accident. He suffered minor injuries.

Rebecca carried a donor card and four of her organs were later used in transplants, including operations on two patients at the Churchill Hospital in Oxford. Mrs Charlton said after the hearing: "Andrew is a young man and he has got to live with what he has done. His life is going to go on. He will get another girlfriend but Rebecca will always be dead."

She added: "I'm glad it's all over. It's been a very traumatic ten-and-a-half months since she died."

Mrs Charlton thanked friends of Rebecca and friends of the family for their support since the accident, and particularly thanked her daughter, Beverley.

Rebecca, who went to Icknield School in Watlington and Henley College, started a full-time job as a secretary at an engineering firm in Reading five weeks before she died.

A collection of more than £800 was raised at her funeral at St Mary Magdalene Church, Crowmarsh.

Mr Northover refused to comment.

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.