Henley can now boast the two best teams in the county after their second string turned on the style to beat Banbury 36-9 in the final of the David Charles Oxfordshire Cup at Iffley Road last night.

Man-of-the-match Liam Smye, the Henley scrum half, weighs up the options during last night's final

After an even first half, Henley, whose first team play in National League 1, sped away to record their ninth cup success - and first since 1995 - with the highest ever score in the final.

Banbury will feel that the final scoreline does them little justice. For much of the game, there was little to choose between the sides, but Henley's greater fitness and class won the day on a superb pitch.

A scrappy first half was ruined by a fussy referee and some irritating interruptions from his touch judges which disrupted the flow and negated Banbury's attempts to exert some control up front.

Penalty goals dominated the opening stages, with Stuart Viggars twice putting Banbury in front with well-struck long-range goals, only for Jon Stebbings to level in kind.

Henley took a clear lead when fly half Phil Osman, an elusive threat all night, went over for a close-range try after good work by the forwards.

Stebbings converted, but then missed three kickable penalties which could have taken his side out of reach.

Banbury, whose forwards out-mauled their opponents but struggled in other phases, rallied to set up Viggers for his third penalty goal with the last kick of the half.

At 13-9, the result was in doubt at the break. But Henley, able to bring on some class players from the bench - like Liverpool against Wycombe Wanderers on Sunday - gradually wore down their spirited opponents, for whom scrum half Tony Hurst had an excellent game.

Stebbings added three more penalties, before Henley, well served by their own scrum half Liam Smye, added two late tries.

Replacement Ali Mortimore powered over from a short line-out move, and then centre Rusty Osman raced in to touch down following a delightful chip ahead from his brother, Phil. Stebbings converted both to bring his tally to 21 points.

It was left only for Phil Osman to collect the cup from Meilissa Whorley, on behalf of the sponsors, and for Smye to receive the Ron Grimshaw Memorial Trophy as man-of-the-match from Oxford Mail sports editor Stuart Earp

Banbury: Viggers, Fellows, Harrison, Briggs (Cartmell 64), Lalanne, Purnell, Hurst (capt), Hattingh (Lawrence 69), Brown, Hobley, Phipps (Hughes), Chatterton, Cummings, Brooks, Cockerton.

Henley: Stebbings, Noyce (Nolan 56), R Osman, T Osman (Mainwaring 75), Knight, P Osman (capt), Smye, Blewitt, Fitzpatrick (Harris 72), Brett, Holder, Moxon, Tibbatts, Pegna (Powers 72), Gavan (Mortimore 56).

Referee: A Randle (Bucks).