Witney's Steve Mullins stole the show after inflicting a first-round stoppage on Cheshunt's Terry Sullivan at Langdale Hall in Witney to become this year's Home Counties middleweight champion.

Mullins took control of this clash from the bell and offloaded a succession of sweeping right hands to mesmerise his rival.

Forced against the ropes, Sullivan's guard dropped and the 23-year-old from the Wolvercote gym connected with a left hook to send him spinning to the canvas.

Mullins then offloaded a two-handed salvo which dropped his rival for a second time, followed by another unanswered cluster of punches that prompted Blackbird Leys referee Colin Goodenough to call a halt one minute and 48 seconds after the start.

Mullins said: "I didn't know much about the Cheshunt lad before the bout. When he went down from the first big left hand, I knew he was rattled and I could win inside the distance."

But there was disappointment for Banbury light welterweight Paul Steadman, from the same gym as Mullins, who was outpointed by Luton Shamrock's Duane Phillips.

The 30-year-old panel beater was forced to take a standing count in the opening round, but weathered the storm to bounce back with some neat body shots in the second.

However, Phillips had the edge on accuracy to claim the votes of all three ringside judges.

Bulmershe's Mark Douglas claimed a split decision over Bedford rival Lee Cristoe in the welterweight final.

All three winners take on the Eastern Counties champions in the next stage of the ABA championships and are joined by Wolvercote bantamweight Lawrence Lewis, who had a walkover at Witney.

Among the support bouts, Blackbird Leys lightweight Liam Boggs beat Bulmershe rival Ibram Ryaz, while Thame junior Jesse Wells had a terrific battle with Farley junior Danny Walker, before losing on the narrowest of split decisions.

Leo Derlanger, from the same club, was equally unlucky to miss out against Terry Griffiths (Farley).

The show was hosted by Witney ABC and Swindon Town FC, whose chairman, former top jockey Willie Carson, presented the trophies.