Janet Brown was killed 10 years ago The husband and children of a victim of a brutal unsolved murder have pleaded with the people of Oxfordshire to help catch the killer who struck a decade ago today.

Janet Brown, 51, a mother of three who worked as a nurse in Oxford, was found gagged and handcuffed at her home, Hall Farm, in Spriggs Holly Lane, Radnage, near Chinnor, shortly after 8am on Tuesday, April 11, 1995.

She had been repeatedly struck about the head. Her husband, Dr Graham Brown, 50, children, Zara, 32, Ben, 31, and Roxanne, 27, released a statement to mark the anniversary in the hope of reigniting the investigation.

The statement read: "We still think about her every day and miss her desperately. She was a lovely person and didn't deserve what happened to her.

"It tortures us that after 10 years, we still don't know who did this or why. The biggest worry is that her brutal killer is still out there, free to do the same thing again to other women."

Roxanne and Zara said they had problems sleeping at night and never stayed in their homes alone.

They added: "Please, if you have any information, let the police know even if you do it anonymously. It's not too late and you could stop this from happening again, which it is bound to if this person isn't discovered and stopped."

Since the murder, the family have moved away from Radnage.

It is believed Mrs Brown was in bed when she was awoken by the sound of intruders breaking in, and had gone to find out what the noise was when she was killed.

She was found naked and handcuffed, although there was nothing to suggest the attack was sexual. Tests revealed that she died from severe head injuries. One motive for the murder was believed to be burglary, but nothing was stolen. Mrs Brown was a research nurse working for Oxford University's department of public health and primary care, looking into the long-term health of women who had undergone fertility treatment.

Det Chief Insp Steve Tolmie, who is now leading the inquiry, said: "The killing was brutal and the level of violence was extreme. Those with information may have moved away from the area and their loyalties changed.

"I'm urging anyone with any information, no matter how small they think it is, to contact me, I will treat it in the strictest confidence.

"I think there is a very strong possibility the offender lives, or certainly lived at the time, locally.

"Whoever was responsible would have been covered in blood so if there is anyone out there that remembers someone coming home with blood stained clothing, I would urge them to contact us."