Visitors to a 17th Century National Trust house in Oxfordshire were evacuated yesterday when a fire broke out in a bedroom.

Up to 40 firefighters were called to tackle a blaze at Chastleton House in west Oxfordshire, near Moreton in Marsh, which is considered one of the finest Jacobean properties in England.

The fire began in a large second floor bedroom at around 4pm.

Fire crews from Chipping Norton, Hook Norton, Banbury were called to tackle the blaze using a ladder pitched to the bedroom window.

Meanwhile, fire crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and fought the fire with a high pressure hose.

The fire was quickly brought under control and there was little damage to the house and its rare contents inside.

The house, which was open to the public at the time of the incident, was evacuated. No visitors or staff were hurt in the incident.