Sir – Oxford City Council will continue to collect items of bulky waste at no charge (Report, November 13).

Residents have only to telephone 01865 252900 and we usually collect within a couple of weeks.

Dumping your old fridge or sofa around the corner is, of course, fly-tipping and an offence. Builder’s rubble should be taken to Redbridge recycling centre and will normally be charged for.

But we also want the Labour Government to force manufacturers to take back and recycle bulky items when they are worn out.

John Tanner, Board member for a Cleaner, Greener Oxford, Oxford City Council