Exclusive

Shock at another River Thames death near Oxford bridge

8
Skip to next photo
1/1
Show caption
1/1
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

Local fishermen and residents have expressed their shock after the body of a man in his 70s was pulled from the River Thames, near to where a young boy died earlier this summer

Thames Valley Police confirmed a man was found dead in the river, near to Donnington Bridge, yesterday (Monday, August 17), with a cordon in place for most of the day.

This is around the area where 14-year-old Baltazar Cabral Lay da Costa died on May 27, after getting into difficulty in the water while with friends.

This time the force was called at around 6.30am and quickly cordoned off a section of the Thames Path.

READ MORE: Police announce emergency powers amid Oxfordshire 'stabbing' and teen arrest

Officers and vehicles were seen in the area and later a spokesperson confirmed a man in his 70s had been found dead.

They added: “Very sadly a man aged in his 70s was located deceased in the river.

“His death is being treated as unexplained but not suspicious, and a file will be prepared for the Oxfordshire Coroner.

The Thames Path next to Longbridges Nature Reserve (Image: Matthew Evans)

"His next of kin have been made aware, and our thoughts are with them at this very difficult time.”

Martin Scarrott, 62, said he saw officers leaving the area at around 1pm, although police tape was left next to Longbridges Nature Reserve.

A 60-year-old fisherman and his son, hoping to fish in the area, were turned away in the morning and saw multiple officers and vehicles.

Police tape between the Thames Path and Longbridges Nature Reserve (Image: Matthew Evans)

The father, who did not wish to be named, said: "We got here about half 10 and it was closed. They had blocked off the area."

The duo said that though were saddened by the news, they weren't overly surprised.

"I do not want to sound blasé about it but it doesn’t surprise me", said the dad, "people die while swimming all the time, and anything can happen when you're elderly".

The Thames Path next to Longbridges Nature Reserve (Image: Matthew Evans)

Local councillor Anna Railton called the incident "devastating".

She said: "We want Oxford, the Thames and all the other watercourses to be safe and enjoyable for everyone.

"The advice remains: if you are not a strong swimmer, don't go into our river, lakes and canals.

City councillor Anna Railton (Image: Oxford City Council)

“They are of unknown depth, often have sharp things at the bottom and the temperature difference can really catch unexperienced people out."

The deputy leader of the city council added that signage has been updated at key locations and there is water rescue equipment across the city.

“The best way of avoiding a tragedy like this," Ms Railton added, "is for people to not go in in the first place though".

Local resident Devon Lawson, 20, was fishing in the area when he heard the news and called it "mad".

Devon Lawson, 20, was fishing in Longbridges Nature Reserve (Image: Matthew Evans)

He said: "That's really shocked me. I only live down the road. I grew up swimming around here, as did my mother. I always thought of it as safe.

“I think it is just mad. I wouldn’t have expected for someone to be found around here."

Simon and Jayne Rear were visiting from Hertfordshire and expressed their condolences to the family.

Baltazar L'QuyBaltazar Cabral Lay da Costa (Image: Contributed)

"It hadn't crossed our mind that the path isn't safe", said Mr Rear, 62.

They live near the Grand Union Canal and said there were the occasional deaths in that waterway as well.

READ MORE: Police plea after teens light 'reckless' fires in Oxfordshire barn

However, this incident comes only months after 14-year-old Baltazar was discovered in the Oxford stretch of the River Thames.

The Timor-Leste-born local was one of a number of UK deaths during the first heatwave this summer with an inquest at Oxfordshire Coroner's Court opening on June 10.

There it was determined that the investigation into the 14-year-old’s death is ongoing and that a cause has not yet been determined.

It will resume on September 21.

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos