RAF Fairford: Oxfordshire protesters against US drones

7
Skip to next photo
1/1
Show caption
1/1
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

Protesters gathered outside the gates of an RAF station yesterday to oppose plans to fly US drones from the base. 

Demonstrators led by the Oxford Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), Drone Wars, and Oxfordshire Peace Campaign massed outside the main gates of RAF Fairford at 1pm on Saturday, January 25, to protest against plans to fly US Global Hawk drones from the station. 

According to the CND, the US plan to operate the RQ-4 Global Hawk drones from RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire as part of NATO’s Agile Combat Employment concept, which argues key military aircraft should be allowed to operate from different bases to make it more difficult for adversaries to carry out pre-emptive strikes. 

The campaign said that according to documents submitted to the Civil Aviation Authority, the working assumption is that the drones will fly two to three times a week when they are at the base. 

READ MORE: Bicester Indian restaurant Arzoo kicked out by landlord

RAF Fairford protest (Image: Contributed) However, it added that a trial flight into the base in August last year "seriously disrupted UK passenger flights arriving into Birmingham Airport". 

CND general secretary Sophie Bolt said: “The Global Hawk is part of the US spying apparatus and has been for decades. 

“Whether its US nuclear weapons stationed at RAF Lakenheath or drone flights from RAF Fairford, these British bases are critical hubs for the US war-fighting machine. 

“With Donald Trump back in power, this is even more alarming. 

“Instead of hiding behind bogus arguments of national security, the British Government should be held accountable for the war crimes being perpetrated from these bases.” 

Help support trusted local news 

Sign up for a digital subscription now: https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/subscribe/

As a digital subscriber you will get:      

  • Unlimited access to the Oxford Mail website   
  • Advert-light access       
  • Reader rewards       
  • Full access to our app

About the author  

Toby is a senior reporter who has a particular interest in covering planning and local government. 

He joined in September 2024 having been a reporter at the Hampshire Chronicle for three years. 

Toby studied at the University of Brighton and can be found on X through the handle @JournoToby 

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos