A malfunctioning e-bike in Standlake has caught fire overnight with homeowners narrowly avoiding damage to their property.

Witney Fire Station and Abingdon Fire Station crews were called to the fire in a garage just after 10pm in the village on Monday night (July 1). 

The crews managed to bring the fire under control and have issued advice to the public about safe electrical use to avoid fires. 

READ MORE: Investigation underway after ‘serious’ plane crash outside Oxford

An Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue service spokesperson said the "swift actions" by those living at the property meant damage was limited to the bike. 

Damage to the e-bike Damage to the e-bike (Image: Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service) The spokesperson said the residents had only realised there was a fire because they had working smoke alarms. 

The spokesperson said: "Fires involving e-bikes and scooters have been on the rise recently nationally and we urge everyone to take precautions when charging at home.

"Although in this case the charger was the correct one there are many after market chargers that are not suitable."