Fire crews issued a warning to gardeners after a bonfire spread to a grass verge.

Firefighters from Bicester Fire Station were called to "their first grass fire of the year" in the hamlet of Poundon yesterday (March 18).

A bonfire had burned out of control and spread to the surrounding verge.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service posted on Facebook: "Even with the wet weather there is still a risk of fire with last year's dead grass, which exposed to an ignition source can catch fire.

"Please take extra care if having a bonfire."