An unattended candle which fell is believed to be the cause of a fire in a Banbury home that Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue service attended yesterday evening (Saturday, February 12).

Green Watch Banbury and crews from Deddington attended the fire in the living room of a home in Nursery Drive, Banbury.

The fire service believes an unattended candle which fell on a sofa and spread was the cause.

READ MORE: Tesco Extra store shut at short notice AGAIN due to flooding 

Officers confirmed a resident inside the property at the time quickly evacuated and called 999.

Firefighters entered the property wearing breathing apparatus and extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet. Due to the prompt actions and closed doors, fire spread was limited within the property.

Watch Manager Cowley took this fire as an opportunity to remind everyone to take care when using candles in the home, ensuring they are secure and never left unattended.