A waste operator warned that lives were put at risk after a helium tank thrown in a rubbish bin caused an explosion.

ODS, the city's council-owned waste services provider, said the canister exploded in one of its waste vehicles.

The incident, it said, endangered staff, public, and vehicles.

The firm issued a safety reminder, urging people to dispose of waste responsibly.

Posting on X/Twitter ODS reminded customers: "Don't place gas-filled items, batteries, or any potentially dangerous items in your bins."

A fire broke out in a bin lorry collecting mixed recycling in Blackbird Leys on July 5 last year.

Due to the fast actions of staff, the situation was brought under control quickly.

It is thought to have been caused by a disposable vape.

Rupert Biddiscombe, ODS Waste and Recycling Manager, said: "Please help us, to help you!

"ODS is appealing to Oxford’s residents to think before they throw away any dangerous items that could, when incorrectly disposed of, pose a fire risk to themselves, our hardworking crews and vehicles, and other people and their properties."

The online Oxford City Council Waste Wizard enables householders to check where and how to dispose of hazardous household waste, including lithium batteries, through a simple postcode search.