Teams from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue service visited businesses in Banbury and the city centre yesterday (Thursday, November 30) and had to reprimand one business after discovering two hazards.

They discovered a fire exit obstructed by several carboard boxes containing stock stacked on top of one another and a fire door in front of it wedged open.

The service labelled this "a severe lack of awareness surrounding safety for customers and staff".

READ MORE: Oxford HSBC evacuated after imitation firearm incident

A post sharing the discovery on social media, designed to educate business owners and members of the public, said: "We spoke with the responsible person on site and explained the importance of keeping exits and escape routes clear at all times.

"We fully understand that this time of year is busy and sometimes business owners let things slide, but fire safety cannot be compromised or forgotten about."

The service further encouraged members of the public or staff with concerns about fire safety at a business to contact them and report any issues.