Writer and broadcaster Gyles Brandreth has unveiled a plaque commemorating a boat trip by Lewis Carroll that would change literary history.

Mr Brandreth unveiled the decorative plaque on Folly Bridge on Tuesday, May 23.

It marks the place where Oxford don Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll), The Revd Robinson Duckworth, and the Dean of Christ Church’s daughters set off on a boating trip on July 4, 1862.

READ MORE: Oxford staff at homelessness charity St Mungo's begin strike

It was on this outing that the first version of Alice’s Adventures Underground (later entitled Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland) was told to the dean's daughter Alice Liddell and her two sisters.

It is the first permanent memorial erected to Carroll and his world-famous book in the city where he lived for most of his life.

The unveiling was attended by the Dean of Christ Church Reverend Canon Sarah Foot, representatives of other local institutions, and the President and the Chairman of The Lewis Carroll Society.

It was followed by a tea party boat trip where literature enthusiast Mr Brandreth remembered the author with two of his great, great, great nieces.

READ MORE: Oxford teenager alleged victim of shopkeeper assault

The Lewis Carroll Society was formed in 1969 with the aim of encouraging research into the life and works of Lewis Carroll.

Oxford Mail: Charles Dodgson plaque

This includes works such as 'Alice in Wonderland', 'Alice Through the Looking-Glass', 'The Hunting of the Snark', his poetry, his logic, his puzzle books, and his photography.

Every year Alice’s Day is celebrated in Oxford, a citywide event to celebrate its reputation as a world-centre of books and literature.