A FLAT resident who fell asleep while making food was warned it ‘could have ended in tragedy’.

The incident happened in the early hours of this morning (January 5) at a flat in Abingdon.

The occupant had fallen asleep while making dinner and other residents from nearby flats were alert by the smoke alarms going off and managed to wake the occupant.

READ MORE: Woman felt 'neglected and ignored' after no water for THREE days

Fire crews and Thames Valley Police were called to the flat which now has smoke damage.

However the occupant is fine.

An officer from Thames Valley Police said: “Apart from the smoke damage to the flat, they luckily were fine. This could of ended so differently without working smoke alarms, it could of ended in tragedy.”


Read more from this author

This story was written by Gee Harland. She joined the team in 2022 as a senior multimedia reporter.

Gee covers Abingdon, Didcot, Wallingford and Wantage.

Get in touch with her by emailing: gee.harland@newsquest.co.uk

Follow her on Twitter @geeharland