On Christmas eve fire crews from Bicester Fire Station and Rewley Road attended a washing machine on fire in a property in Bicester.

A family returning home were met with smoke alarms sounding and smoke coming from the property.

READ MORE: Driver rescued from Christmas day crash in Bicester

They called 999 immediately and stayed safely outside.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire which had been tamed slightly by a burst water pipe but still caused significant smoke damage throughout the property.

An Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson said: “We were able to help the family retrieve presents and items, but would like to highlight the importance of trying not to leave white goods unattended, and closing doors which significantly reduces the damage caused.

“Fortunately everyone was safe, and working smoke alarms showed how effective they are to raise the alarm.”


Read more from this author

This story was written by Matthew Norman, he joined the team in 2022 as a Facebook community reporter.

Matthew covers Bicester and focuses on finding stories from diverse communities.

Get in touch with him by emailing: Matthew.norman@newsquest.co.uk

Follow him on Twitter: @OxMailMattN1