Pictures shared by Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue show how a flat was devastated after an electric blanket caught fire.

Yesterday (November 14) fire crews from Burford, Charlbury and Rewley Road scrambled to a flat in the county after an electric blanket set on fire.

It is believed that the electric blanket was faulty.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue service are currently offering free testing of electric blankets ready for the winter.

If your electric blanket has any of the following faults, the fire service recommends that you do not use it and replace it immediately.

  • wear and tear
  • scorch marks
  • loose connections or any damage to the flex
  • the elements are not loose within the blanket, touching or crossing over

You can find out more information here:


Read more from this author

This story was written by Sophie Perry. She joined the team in 2021 as a digital reporter.

You can get in touch with her by emailing:

Follow her on Twitter @itssophieperry

A message from our Editor

Thank you for reading this story and supporting the Oxford Mail.

If you like what we do please consider getting a subscription for the Oxford Mail and in return we’ll give you unrestricted access with less adverts across our website from the latest news, investigations, features, and sport.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok for more. 

You can also join the conversation in our Facebook groups: stay ahead of traffic alerts here, keep up to date with the latest from court here, share your favourite memories of Oxford here, get your daily dose of celebrity news here and take some time out with news that will make you smile. 

If you’ve got a story for our reporters, send us your news here. You can also list an event for free here.