Firefighters evacuated a building after they were called about a “chemical type smell”.

In the early hours of this morning two fire engines from Rewley Road Fire Station were mobilised to Abingdon Road to reports of a chemical smell making people feel unwell.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus evacuated the building and used specialist detection equipment that found an ammonia leak, due to a faulty fridge.

Read more: Teenage boy stabbed in Summertown

Three people were treated at the scene and one person was taken to hospital for further observations.

Incident commander Jason Clifford said: “Luckily the residents called us out as it’s believed the fridge had been leaking for a couple of days, giving off a nasty smell and causing a burning sensation to the eyes.”

He also wanted to remind the public that this type of incident is quite uncommon.


Read more from this author

This story was written by Matthew Norman, he joined the team in 2022 as a Facebook community reporter.

Matthew covers Bicester and focuses on finding stories from diverse communities.

Get in touch with him by emailing:

Follow him on Twitter: @OxMailMattN1

A message from our Editor

Thank you for reading this story and supporting the Oxford Mail.

If you like what we do please consider getting a subscription for the Oxford Mail and in return we’ll give you unrestricted access with less adverts across our website from the latest news, investigations, features, and sport.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok for more. 

You can also join the conversation in our Facebook groups: stay ahead of traffic alerts here, keep up to date with the latest from court here, share your favourite memories of Oxford here, get your daily dose of celebrity news here and take some time out with news that will make you smile. 

If you’ve got a story for our reporters, send us your news here. You can also list an event for free here.