A CLUB security guard "risked his own life" to break up a brawl.

The off-duty security guard helped to "regain the situation" after a fight broke out between three men in Wantage Market Place in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Three men have been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent after the fight, shortly after 3am.

READ MORE: Man injured and three arrested after 'knife seen' in Wantage brawl

A victim, a man in his 20s, remains in hospital after suffering "significant" fractures to his face, eye socket and cheek.

The security man had been working at Delaneys Club.

A spokesperson for the club, which opened at the end of August, said: "Delaney's was already closed and had no involvement with anyone affiliated with the incident, nor did it happen outside the club.

"However, it was one of our off-duty, ex-military, security staff that risked his own life to protect the life of a complete stranger and another that regained control of the situation."

Thames Valley Police have launched a witness appeal after a knife was seen during the course of the brawl.

DS Nathan Adby of Abingdon CID said: "This was a significant incident of disorder in the centre of Wantage, which involved a number of individuals.

READ MORE: SEE INSIDE: Town's only nightclub has successful first weekend

"We have arrested three people.

"I am appealing to anybody who was in the area at the time of the incident and witnessed this to get in touch with Thames Valley Police.

"I would also urge anybody with any CCTV or dash-cam footage from the time of the incident to please check this and contact us if it has captured anything that can assist the investigation."

Two of the men arrested are from Wantage, aged 22 and 24. A 20-year-old man from Totnes, Devon was also arrested and detained in custody.

The 22-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of affray and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.

DS Adby added: "I appreciate that incidents such as this will cause some concern in the local community, but the circumstances are being thoroughly investigated and a number of arrests have been made.

"There will be a continued presence of officers in the town centre while this investigation continues, and I would urge anybody who has any concerns to please speak to any of our officers or staff at the scene.

READ MORE: Screenings of the Queen's funeral provided space for people to mourn together

“Anybody with any information can also make a report online or call 101, quoting reference number 43220419844.

“Alternatively, for 100% anonymity, you can also call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”


Read more from this author

This story was written by Gee Harland. She joined the team in 2022 as a senior multimedia reporter.

Gee covers Wallingford, Wantage and Didcot.

Get in touch with her by emailing: Gee.harland@newsquest.co.uk

Follow her on Twitter @Geeharland

A message from our Editor

Thank you for reading this story and supporting the Oxford Mail.

If you like what we do please consider getting a subscription for the Oxford Mail and in return we’ll give you unrestricted access with less adverts across our website from the latest news, investigations, features, and sport.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok for more. 

You can also join the conversation in our Facebook groups: stay ahead of traffic alerts here, keep up to date with the latest from court here, share your favourite memories of Oxford here, get your daily dose of celebrity news here and take some time out with news that will make you smile. 

If you’ve got a story for our reporters, send us your news here. You can also list an event for free here.