Oxford United ended their Saturday home programe with their biggest win of the season.

Yemi Odubade, Phil Trainer, Adam Murray and substitute Matt Green - with a brace - all got on the scoresheet as Oxford increased Farsley Celtic's relegation fears.

Farsley, who looked a very poor outfit on the day, were reduced to ten men when defender James Knowles was sent off at the start of the second half.

The U's could easily have doubled their tally, with Murray missing a penalty before converting one near the end, and countless other chances going begging.

They completely outclassed the Leeds-based team, and passed the ball well in an impressive display.

Odubade and Eddie Hutchinson were recalled to the starting line-up, and it took Odubade less than three minutes to use his pace to blistering effect.

Barry Quinn's long ball from the back was flicked on by Craig McAllister and Odubade sprinted past the ponderous Georges Santos and Scott McNiven and finished with a neat side-footed shot as the keeper came out.

With Santos and his centre back partner Steve Torpey looking slow, and Farsley playing a high line, it was clearly a tactic of United's to try to get the ball forward to Odubade whenever they could.

Odubade skinned Scott McNiven again moments later as United forced a number of early corners.

From one, swung over by Murray, keeper Curtis Aspden just managed to paw it away, for another corner, from just below his crossbar.

And from the resulting flag-kick, this time by Phil Trainer, it was headed back across goal by Matt Day, and McAllister nodded into the keeper's arms.

As Oxford continued to dominate, they kept carving out chances. McAllister screwed a shot well wide when Farsley were waiting for the ref to stop play because one of their midfielders had a head injury, and Odubade had a first-time shot saved by the keeper's foot from Anaclet's cut-back.

The U's then hit the woodwork twice in five minutes midway through the first half, and really could have gone three goals up.

Trainer struck a 22-yard free-kick against the left post, with the keeper helpless.

There then followed a bizarre passage of play begun by Anaclet winning a race to the ball against the goalkeeper near the corner flag.

Anaclet crossed it left-footed with the keeper 20 yards out of his goal and McAllister, running in from deep, headed against the post when it seemed easier to score. The ball rebounded into the path of an unmarked Trainer, but his right-footed shot in front of the goal was woeful, and bobbled well wide.

Farsley at last managed an effort on goal on 31 minutes, David McNiven curling a clever shot from wide on the left only just beyond the far post.

But the home side immediately resumed their onslaught and the one-way traffic continued.

Odubade got in between the keepoer and defence and was unlucky to see his volley shot over Aspden taken by the wind and float just a yard or so past the upright.

By now the crowd were chanting Yemi's name. Farsley just couldn't handle his speed and running.

Five minutes before half-time, Odubade was brought down on the very edge of the area by Stephen Downes, who had swapped fulback positions with Scott McNiven.

Surprisingly, Downes wasn't booked, but pounishment came from the free-kick, which Trainer drilled home, keeper Aspden simply beaten by its power.

Farsley replaced Torpey with Simon Bambrook for the seconmd half, and the sub scored from his first touch!

The visitors won a free-kick on the very edge of the box, and Bambrook shot low through the wall and past Billy Turley.

Two minutes later and Oxford were awarded a penalty, the ref judging that James Knowles's shoulder-charge challenge on Odubade merited a straight red card, which seemed very harsh.

Adam Murray had converted every previous spot kick since joining United, but this one, towards the top left of the goal, was well saved by Aspden, beating it out to his right.

And from the corner, an Odubade effort was desperately cleared off the line.

Trainer had an angled shot well saved before he was replaced, midway through the second half, by Danny Rose.

Rose played a part in the build-up to United's third goal, on 72 minutes, passing out to his left where Michael Howard crossed first-time behind the Farsley defence. Anaclet couldn't reach it but Matt Green, who had only been on the pitch a few minutes, knocked it in from beyond the back post.

Odubade won a penalty for the second time with ten minutes to go when Santos brought him down. Murray had the confidence to go up again, and this time went the other way - and scored.

Green completed his brace by showing good composure when the keeper was miles off his line. He kept the ball tight to his feet and fired past two defenders on the line.

Oxford Utd: Turley, Day, Quinn, Foster, Howard, Anaclet, Hutchinson, Murray, Trainer (Rose 66), McAllister (Green 60), Odubade (Richards 88). Subs not used: Clarke, Hand.

Att: 4,266 (39 from Farsley).