SMOKE could be seen billowing from a patch of dry grass in Didcot after an “accidental fire”.

Firefighters were called to Buckthorne Crescent on Saturday (August 20) at about 8.45pm.

It is believed the fire could have been started by a lit cigarette being thrown onto the grass accidentally.

Oxford Mail: Picture by Spotted DidcotPicture by Spotted Didcot

READ MORE: Woman credits her dog for 'sniffing out' her breast cancer

A fire appliance was sent from Didcot Fire Station and the crew were successful in putting out the fire and damping it down.

The team then left Didcot at about 9.06pm once the flames had been put out.

Oxford Mail: Picture by Spotted DidcotPicture by Spotted Didcot

Residents in the Great Western Park area reported smells of smoke coming from the road.

A spokesperson for the Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The cause of the fire was accidental.”


Read more from this author

This story was written by Gee Harland. She joined the team in 2022 as a senior multimedia reporter.

Gee covers Wallingford, Wantage and Didcot.

Get in touch with her by emailing:

Follow her on Twitter @Geeharland

A message from our Editor

Thank you for reading this story and supporting the Oxford Mail.

If you like what we do please consider getting a subscription for the Oxford Mail and in return we’ll give you unrestricted access with less adverts across our website from the latest news, investigations, features, and sport.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok for more. 

You can also join the conversation in our Facebook groups: stay ahead of traffic alerts here, keep up to date with the latest from court here, share your favourite memories of Oxford here, get your daily dose of celebrity news here and take some time out with news that will make you smile. 

If you’ve got a story for our reporters, send us your news here. You can also list an event for free here.