A cat has died in a house fire which could have been worse if not for the 'quick actions' of neighbours.

Firefighters attended wearing breathing apparatus and were equipped with a high-pressure hose reel to deal with the fire, in the conservatory of the semi-detached property on Sunday evening.

Nobody was hurt but sadly the family cat died due to the smoke. 

READ MORE: Fires in Oxford woodland lit deliberately

Oxford Mail: Impact of house fire in Didcot.Impact of house fire in Didcot.

The cause of the fire was found to be accidental.

Crews from Didcot Fire Station and Abingdon Fire Station were called to the fire, which was on Kynaston Road in Didcot.

Incident commander Jon Walker said: “Due to the quick actions of the neighbours, and call to the fire service, a much greater fire was averted”.

He added: “We cannot stress the importance of working smoke alarms enough!

"Please ensure all smoking materials are discarded safely before going to bed or leaving the property”.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok

Got a story for us? Send us your news and pictures here

List an event for free on our website here