A FAMILY escaped unhurt after a devastating house fire gutted their home.

Fire crews from three stations were called to the blaze in Ascott, near Chipping Norton, on Friday night.

Fire engines from Chipping Norton Fire Station, Banbury Fire Station and Leamington Fire Station in Warwickshire were called to reports of the fire at 8.30pm.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house with a hose reel and thermal imaging camera and found the fire was focused in the kitchen. 

Once it was damped down they used a specialist fan to clear the building of smoke. 
The occupiers were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarms and safely evacuated the property before calling 999.

Incident commander crew manager Forder said: “This incident highlights the vital importance of working smoke alarms. This could have been a lot worse if it hadn’t been for the alarms alerting the residents, and the homeowner's quick actions to close the doors, get out and call 999.”