Everybody at a pub had to evacuate after a suspected fire.

Oxfordshire firefighters were called to The Fleece gastropub on Chruch Grn in Witney yesterday afternoon at around 3.30pm after a suspected fire involving light fittings.

Crews from Witney, Eynsham and Abingdon fire station arrived within minutes and used specialist thermal imaging and a ‘snake-eye’ camera to find out what had happened.

The cause was put down to be overheating fixtures in the ceiling void.

Firefighters have now put out a warning saying: “Crews would like to use this opportunity to remind everyone of the importance in having regular safety checks and ensuring your electrical systems are up to date.”

The Fleece reopened in the evening.

Oxford Mail: Fire crews checking light fittings at The Fleece, WitneyFire crews checking light fittings at The Fleece, Witney


Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on news@nqo.com or 01865 425 445.