Firefighters were called to a solicitors firm in Oxford after a passer-by saw flames through the front door.

Three crews from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to Family First Solicitors on Woodstock Road.

The crews – two from Rewley Road Station and one from Slade Fire Station – arrived at the scene of the incident yesterday morning at 03:57.

READ MORE: Christmas Common 'murder': What happened on day one of Daniel O'Hara Wright's trial

The solicitors firm shares a building with Browns Oxford, which staff from the restaurant told the Oxford Mail owns the whole building.Oxford Mail: The effect of the fire inside the premises. Picture: Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue The effect of the fire inside the premises. Picture: Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus, extinguished the fire and carried out a thorough search of the building.

The fire was spotted by a passer-by who saw flames through the glass door of the premises and called 999, prompting a ‘quick response’ from the fire service.

Incident commander Paul White said it was thanks to the smoke detectors in building going off that residents in the adjoining flats were alerted and they were able to evacuate the property to a safe place.

Fire investigators are helping Thames Valley Police with their enquiries.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service asked that people please check they have working smoke detectors in their property and close doors as part of their nightly routine.

Family First Solicitors has been contacted for comment.


Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on or 01865 425 445.