A Chinese lantern set fire to the branches of a tree and firefighters are warning that this popular tradition can cause serious fires.

On Friday evening fire crews were called to an address at Furlongs, Drayton, to a Chinese Lantern that had landed in a tree, setting fire to the branches. On arrival the crew found a Chinese Lantern stuck approximately 10 feet up the tree, and had to use a large reach pole to remove the lantern.

Firefighter Richard Brown from Abingdon Fire Station said: "Chinese lanterns are very popular at this time of year but are extremely dangerous. A lit lantern can land on the roof of a house, or in this case a tree, setting fire to its surroundings. They are also extremely dangerous to animals and can pose a serious risk to wildlife. Although they are not banned, the Fire Service would strongly recommend not using them."

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on news@nqo.com or 01865 425 445.