Detectives’ investigation into the theft of a multi-million pound gold toilet remains ongoing, Thames Valley Police said.

The working lavatory by conceptual artist Maurizio Cattelan only went on display at Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, days before it was stolen in a heist two years ago.

Seven people have been arrested in connection with the daring theft at the Oxfordshire stately home.

In an update shared on the second anniversary of the burglary, Thames Valley Police said the force’s investigation remained on going, the seven people arrested remained released under investigation and no charges have been brought.

In the wake of the theft, insurers Fine Art Specie Adjusters offered a £100,000 reward for information leading to the return of the 18-carat gold toilet - estimated to be worth £4.8m.

The reward still stands, with director Philip Austin telling the BBC: "No one has come forward for the reward money yet.

“Initially there were lots of inquiries but now it's all gone quiet."

Oxford Mail:

The gold toilet went on display at Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire Picture: BLENHEIM ART FOUNDATION/PA WIRE

Heist

Thieves struck at around 4.50am on September 14, 2019. They ripped out the plumbed-in toilet, causing ‘significant damage and flooding’.

At the time, police said the gang were thought to have used at least two vehicles to make good their escape.

Five people forced their way into the palace in Woodstock through the front gates and drove onto the courtyard.

Three of them, dressed in dark clothes and wearing balaclavas, got out of the cars – leaving two drivers at the wheel.

They made their way inside and carried the 18-carat loo out of the palace before loading it into the boot of one of the cars.

The cars, including a VW Golf, were believed to have been driven on false plates.

Oxford Mail:

Police handout of one of the cars involved in the heist Picture: TVP

Oxford Mail:

The wreckage left behind by the thieves Picture: TVP

Key points in the investigation

Two days after the theft, on September 16, it was announced that a 66-year-old from Evesham man had been arrested on suspicion of burglary by West Mercia Police. He was later released. Det Insp Jess Milne of Thames Valley Police, the senior investigating officer, said officers were ‘still actively searching’ for the lifted lavatory.

A week later, Gloucestershire police were said to be keeping an open mind about whether the Blenheim burglars were also behind a break-in at Sudeley Castle, 30 miles from Woodstock.

Later in September, a 35-year-old man was arrested in connection with the theft. The following month, a 38-year-old woman, a 37-year-old man and a 36-year-old man, all from Oxford, were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to burgle.

In November, a 35-year-old London man was arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods.

A seventh suspect – a 44-year-old Kent man – was arrested in June 2020 on suspicion of burglary.

They were all released under investigation. The lavatory has never been found.

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on news@nqo.com or 01865 425 445.