FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to be safe while cooking outdoors after a barbecue burst into flames.

The fire, which happened in the back garden of a house in Woodstock on Sunday, started when a hose connected to the gas cylinder ignited.

The barbecue was more then 10 years old and was being used for the first time this year.

The cylinder was removed and left to vent. The fire service is urging people to be mindful of old cooking equipment.

It said on Facebook: "Always visually inspect them for any damaged hose lines along with keeping it clean and fat free. Enjoy the sunshine and be safe."