A TODDLER was taken to hospital because of a severe allergic reaction after a 'careless' mix-up with milk at Costa Coffee branch in Oxfordshire.

Parent Kye Joseph took to social media to warn others about their stressful experience at the Orchard Centre Costa on Tuesday.

She said: "What was supposed to be a nice treat turned into an overnight hospital stay for my three-year-old boy.

ALSO READ: Santander anti-fraud manager jailed for stealing £179k from customers

"We understand cross contamination risk but my child received a full cup of cow milk after my husband asked for oat milk three times. Absolute carelessness."

A Costa Coffee spokesperson confirmed that they are investigating the incident and are in touch with the family.

They added: "We take the safety and wellbeing of our customers extremely seriously and have strict allergy training and procedures in place to help to minimise the risk to those customers who suffer from allergens.

"We would like to offer our sincere apologies to them for the distress."