A DOG called Oscar has reportedly died after swallowing a disposable face mask.

The playful dog was out for a walk in an Oxfordshire park when he found the mask and ate it, according to a poster pinned to a tree in the field.

He became so sick he couldn't move and the mask wire punctured his intestine. 

Sharing a picture of it on the Wantage and Grove community Facebook group, Macy Jones said: “Something to think about if you’re one of those people carelessly disposing of masks or putting them ‘next to the bin because it’s full’. I was on my morning walk in Grove and picked up five of them.”

Oxford Mail:

The poster says: “I was playful, adventurous, incredibly loyal, loving and happy… I loved swimming and ball games… but I do admit to being a little greedy and I loved sniffing everywhere.

“I came here every day to play but last weekend I found and ate a facemask…big mistake.

“It made me so ill I could not move, and my family had to take me to the vets where I was given lots of medication. I then had a blood transfusion followed by an emergency operation on my tummy, but the infection had given me sepsis and the wire in the mask pierced my intestine… despite their best efforts they were unable to save my life and I died.”

Commenting on the post, which has been shared more than 100 times, one woman said she carries nappy sacks to collect masks that have been dropped, in the same way, she collects her dog litter when she goes out walking.


Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on news@nqo.com or 01865 425 445.