A FIRE which roared through a house is believed to have been started because of a candle.

Firefighters tackled the blaze in Upthorpe Drive, Wantage on Monday afternoon.

Crews from Wantage and Didcot went to the semi-detached property ‘with smoke pouring from the first floor windows’.

The fire in the bathroom was described as ‘well developed’.

See also: Council refuses new gypsy site for four families despite safety concerns

Crews used a high-pressure hose reel to extinguish the fire and prevent any further fire and smoke damage, before temperature checks were then taken in the loft and other areas of the house to ensure there was no hidden fire spread.

Crews then checked the neighbouring property for any fire and smoke spread, and gave oxygen therapy to an occupier who was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

The incident commander said: “The crews worked very efficiently to extinguish the fire quickly and stopped it spreading up into the loft space.

“We would like to remind the public that our message is to get out, stay out and call the fire service out.”

The fire service warned never to leave lit candles unattended and when putting out a candle, to make sure they’re completely out.