A FAMILY made the grim discovery their home was on fire when smoke alarms started sounding in the middle of the night.

They evacuated their house, which is in Fullbrook, and dialled 999.

Crews from Burford and Carterton stations arrived within minutes and saw smoke pouring out the property.

Firefighters put on breathing masks and went in to stop the fire from spreading. But it had already destroyed part of the ceiling. 

Oxford Mail:

Writing on Facebook, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue said: "Luckily the family had evacuated due to having working smoke alarms fitted and knowing what to do if the worst should happen.

"Having working and tested smoke alarms along with an escape plan will save life’s in the event of a fire."


Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on news@nqo.com or 01865 425 445.