RESIDENTS made the grim discovery that their chimney was on fire when they woke up in the early hours of this morning to their smoke alarm sounding. 

Firefighters from Bicester arrived at the house in Chesterton within minutes.

The team used a thermal image camera and saw the flames were spreading from the surround of an open fireplace. 

They used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire and removed the surround to stop it spreading. 

Oxford Mail:

Writing on Facebook, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue service said: "Thanks to an early 999 call and working smoke alarms damage was limited to the fire place.

"Please remember to test your smoke alarms once a week to make sure they are working."


Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on or 01865 425 445.