AN Oxford resident phoned the fire service in alarm after their laptop computer burst into flames.

Fire crews from Slade Park and Rewley Road stations raced to second floor flat in Cowley on Monday evening.

On arrival the crews were faced with a flat full of smoke, with flames coming from the back of a laptop.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and the fire was quickly extinguished.

The frightened resident had already got out of the flat before calling 999.

Read also: Covid 19 vaccinations to start in UK next week

The firefighters reported that there were no working smoke alarms in the flat.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue shared the incident on its Facebook page and said: “Had the fire occurred at night whilst the occupier was asleep the consequences could have been much worse.”

Adding: “This incident serves as a timely reminder not to leave computer or similar devices charging whilst you are not at home. Electric sockets and extension leads should not be overloaded, and on no account should one extension lead be plugged into another extension lead.

“Also, you should have at least one working smoke alarm on each level of your property and test them once a week.”