FIREFIGHTERS rushed to a home in South Oxfordhshire last night where a chimney had caught fire.

Crews from Abingdon Fire Station attended the blaze in Gozzards Ford.

After accessing the chimney pot the firefighters extinguished the flames using a high pressure hose reel.

ALSO READ: Lucky escape as car crashes on A40

A spokesperson from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service took to social media to warn residents about how to properly look after their chimneys to avoid such oncidents.

In a post on Facebook they said: "As the weather turns colder and residents start lighting their open fires we would encourage people to ensure their chimney is swept regularly."