There was a 'loud bang' and 'sparking electricity' yesterday before an electricity pylon caught fire in an Oxfordshire village. 

A woman contacted the Oxford Mail and said the fire service was called by people at a funeral procession in Tackley, near Kidlington.

Oxford Mail:

The fire took place at approximately 11.15am on Nethercote Road. 

ALSO READ: Man attacked in Oxford nightclub toilets

She added: "Viewers heard a loud bang and saw sparking electricity and thick black smoke visible throughout village."

She said there was also a power outage which has since been fixed.

Oxford Mail:

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service posted a video of the incident on Facebook, saying firefighters from Kidlington and Charlbury were called to reports of a pole on fire.

It added: "They ensured the scene was made safe and they waited for the arrival of Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks to make the pole safe before allowing the roads to be reopened."