FIREFIGHTERS raced to a kitchen blaze in Oxford yesterday afternoon after residents abandoned their cooking on the kitchen hob.

Two fire engines from Rewley Road station were sent to a terrace property on St Mary’s Road at 2.17pm.

When the crew arrived the smoke was coming from the windows on the ground and first floor of the property.

ALSO READ: David Beckham poses with fan during Halloween shopping trip

Firefighters discovered the fire in the kitchen and quickly extinguished the flames using high pressure hose reels.

Terrifying photos from the scene of the incident show the charred kitchen walls and ceiling. 

An investigation carried out by Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Services confirmed that the blaze was caused from cooking left on the kitchen hob while the occupants of the property were out of the house.

The rest of the building was then ventilated to remove the smoke that had spread to all parts of the property to reduce further damage.

Oxford Mail:

Incident commander watch manager Nick Windsor commented: "Luckily the property had working smoke alarms, which alerted the neighbours to the fact that there was a fire in the property and allowed them to call the fire service.

"If anyone had been in the in the building at the time of the fire starting it would have also alerted them early on allowing them to get out of the building safely."