A DRUNK-driver who killed a pedestrian in a crash outside a Domino’s pizza store has been jailed for seven years.

Ryan Owen-Brewerton must serve at least half that sentence, Oxford Crown Court heard today.

In a dark twist of events, Owen-Brewerton, of Appleford Drive, Abingdon, had only had his licence reissued in January, seven months before the fatal crash, following previous convictions for driving offences.

He pleaded guilty to one count each of causing death by dangerous driving and driving a vehicle whilst over the prescribed alcohol limit at a previous hearing on August 20.

See also: Family pay tribute to man who died in Domino’s car crash

The court heard this morning that at about 9.30pm on July 7 this year, Owen-Brewerton crashed into Kacper Grzeszek near the Domino’s in Ock Street, Abingdon.

Twenty-year-old Owen-Brewerton, a trainee carpenter, was driving his red BMW 1 series, which had been modified to increase its power, at 78mph before he hit Mr Grzeszek.

Mr Grzeszek, also 20, died the following day.

Owen-Brewerton had been drinking at the Boundary House pub in Abingdon in the evening and at about 6pm, it was noted he was ‘drinking lager, stumbling around and ignoring social distancing measures’.

Oxford Mail:

He left the pub at 9pm, crashing into Mr Grzeszek at the crossing by Domino’s at about 9.30pm, and was found to have 90mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath, more than double the legal limit of 35mcg.

His reckless driving saw him drive on the opposite side of the road for ‘100-200 metres’ after overtaking other vehicles.

After the crash, Owen-Brewerton failed to stop at the scene and continued forward, coming to a stop after hitting a Vauxhall Insignia.

Owen-Brewerton was arrested at the scene and interviewed on July 8, where he said ‘no comment’ to all questions, even when shown CCTV clips.

Read more: ‘This was a horrific incident’ say police

A victim statement read out in court on behalf of Mr Grzeszek’s mother said that his 80-year-old grandmother in Poland had ‘no more tears to cry’.

She added that the death of her son was ‘beyond her strength and beyond her limits’ and that at his funeral, she ‘not only buried a son, but her heart and will to live’.

The defence said that Owen-Brewerton ‘did not intend to take the life of another young man’.

A letter he wrote was read out to the court, expressing his ‘deep regret for his reckless behaviour’ and how sorry he was to the family.

See more: School reveals identity of its mystery backer

Sentencing, Judge Nigel Daly said: “I do not consider this to be an accident.

"You drank a large amount of alcohol, you got into the car and drove it at a ridiculous speed in the centre of Abingdon.

“This was an appalling piece of driving, you had no concern for anyone else, you only cared about driving as fast as you could in your modified BMW.”

Owen-Brewerton previously appeared at Oxford Magistrates’ Court in June 2018 for speeding at 98mph in a 70mph zone on the A34 near Abingdon. He received four penalty points.

In February 2019, he was convicted of careless driving on the A34 when his vehicle lost control and collided with a street lamp. He was disqualified from driving for six months.

His licence was reissued in January of this year, seven months before the crash that killed Mr Grzeszek.

Read also: School trust boss given vote of no confidence returns

Following today’s sentencing, Owen-Brewerton was disqualified from driving for six years and six months, following which he will have to take an extended test.

Mr Grzeszek was on a gap year, and in the UK visiting a friend.

His sister paid tribute, saying: “The last months were the hardest and the most painful ones in my life.

“I have just one wish, I am begging everyone to be responsible, if not for yourselves do it for others.

“Please, never drink and drive and always be extremely careful during driving, be brave enough to stop someone drunk driving and report every single act of dangerous driving to police.”

Oxford Mail:

Investigating officer, PC Mark Dunne, of the Thames Valley Police Roads Policing Unit, added: “This was a horrific incident that once again highlights the dangers of drink driving and speeding.

“We work tirelessly to bring to justice those who think it is acceptable to get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol and drive in excess of the speed limit.”