In April 2015 fire crews gathered to tackle a serious blaze at the Randolph Hotel.

More than 80 people were evacuated from Oxford's world-famous hotel in Beaumont Street and the fire, caused by some overcooked stroganoff, resulted in a £6.5m renovation programme which was completed the following year.

As new American owners Graduate Hotels prepare to make staff redundant while a six-month refurbishment takes place, we look back at the last five years.

READ AGAIN: Randolph Hotel to close for six months and make staff redundant

While the hotel renovation was completed in 2016 following the blaze, it was not the only difficulty managers have had to deal with.

Oxford Mail:

In December 2018 food hygiene inspectors criticised cooking staff and awarded a two-star food hygiene rating.

READ AGAIN: Randolph Hotel criticised by food hygiene inspectors

The hotel was visited by Oxford City Council's health inspectors after a customer who ate a mackerel arancini – a stuffed rice ball – and hake with green vegetables complained of feeling unwell after the meal.

A non-scheduled visit to the five-star hotel's kitchens, which cater for its Acanthus restaurant, was carried out and resulted in the business being given a two-star rating, which means 'improvement necessary'.

Oxford Mail:

The necessary improvements were quickly actioned and the five-star food hygiene rating was back in place by the following May.

And in February last year a man was seriously injured when he fell from scaffolding at the hotel onto a flat roof inside the hotel.

Graduate Hotels bought the Randolph from the Macdonald hotel chain at the end of last year and announced the Randolph's name could change.