As pubs, bars and restaurants face a 10pm curfew, we look back at some of the pubs Oxford has loved and lost over the years.

Some, like The Holly Bush on Osney Island have been busy after making a welcome comeback but the pub trade is now facing a difficult time.

The Charles Wells pub reopened last year after being closed for a number of years and drinkers now have to order their pints using an app.

Oxford Mail:

The Holly Bush

Pubs were forced to close for lockdown in March and could only serve takeaways.

Now, after reopening in July with social distancing measures, they face further restrictions.

For all the great pubs which remain in our city, dozens have called time on serving customers down the years, whether due to falling trade, competition from supermarkets or increasing rents.

The Fair Rosamund in Elms Rise, Botley, was built in the 1950s and closed in 2000.

The Horse and Jockey in Woodstock Road dates back much further, to 1880.

It was located at 69 Woodstock Road and was leased to St John's College by Morrells Brewery on a 99-year lease in 1899.

Oxford Mail:

Chris and Debbie Long outside the Horse & Jockey

The pub closed in 2002 and was converted into student accommodation.

The Lord Napier could be found in Observatory Street in Jericho and although it has since closed the building is still known as Lord Napier House.

Oxford Mail:

Regulars at The Radcliffe Arms

The Radcliffe Arms does not exist in its previous form but the site does still operate as a boozer, now known as The Rickety Press.

The pub reopened under its new name in 2011, a year after The Radcliffe Arms shut.

Oxford Mail:

Tony Goulding of CAMRA outside The Quarry Gate

Other pubs loved and lost include The Marlborough House in south Oxford, The Quarry Gate in Headington, The Jack Russell in Marston and Far From The Madding Crowd.