A MAN who left a reveller permanently scarred after a late-night brawl outside a city bar has been spared jail.

Michael English's victim had to have 20 stitches after he was punched twice during the drink-fuelled explosion of violence.

The 26-year-old of Park Way, Oxford had already admitted one count of inflicting grievous bodily harm without intent.

READ ALSO: New Jericho boatyard piazza will be hemmed in say campaigners.

He was sentenced for that offence at Oxford Crown Court yesterday.

Outlining the case prosecutor Diane Wilson said the violent incident took place outside Be At One, St Clement's Street, Oxford, on November 10 last year.

The victim had been at the bar with a group when they were escorted outside after an unrelated incident.

That group began speaking to English's girlfriend, who took offence to a comment that was made by one of their number.

She went back inside and English then came out with her.

What ensued was described as a 'scuffle' between the two groups involving 'low level shoves from both sides.'

During the fracas English punched his victim twice before the police were contacted and the violence came to an end.

The victim received a 5.5cm laceration which has left him with a permanent scar.

READ ALSO: Armed police rush to blaze in truck carrying weapons.

In a victim personal statement he described the attack as 'vicious and senseless' and said that he had since struggled to sleep.

He added: "I will carry a reminder with me from that night for the foreseeable future."

The court also heard that English has one other previous conviction - a racially aggravated public order offence.

In mitigation defence barrister Peter Du Feu said that his client was 'truly ashamed about what he caused.'

He added: "It has all come about from words, silly words, and it may not have been [from the victim], there is no excuse for that."

Mr Du Feu said: "If he could just undo this he would love to."

Sentencing, Judge Michael Gledhill QC said the attack had had a 'chilling' effect on the victim and that English had behaved 'absolutely appallingly.'

He said: "The complainant in this case had gone out no doubt with his friends for a pleasant evening.

"He ended up with the most dreadful injuries to his eyebrow.

"It was so deep, that 5.5cm laceration, to his eyebrow, that it needed a double layer of stitching. It has caused a permanent scar, so he is disfigured for life.

"What was this attack about? Absolutely nothing."

English was handed a 12-month jail term, suspended for two years and he must carry out 140 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay compensation to his victim of £1,000 and £425 court costs as well as a statutory victim surcharge.