A PAINTERS' workshop was badly damaged after a fire that started in a bin quickly spread.

Firefighters from Witney, Chipping Norton and Kidlington were called to the blaze in Cotswold Camping in Charlbury yesterday afternoon.

Oxford Mail:

When the crews arrived at the scene just before 3.30pm, the fire had already spread one side of the building and affecting the internal structure of a painters’ workshop.

The team's quick actions prevented further damage to the site and also managed to enter the workshop and salvage some high-value paintings.  

The flames were quickly extinguished and it is believed the fire started from hot ashes from either a BBQ or a fire pit.

ALSO READ: Oxford man charged after man stabbed in a pub brawl

A spokesperson for Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service commented: "Preliminary investigations suggests hot ashes from either a disposable BBQ or fire pit were put in the bins provided without realising that the ashes were not fully out.

"We would like to remind everyone of the potential for these types of fires occurring and to follow our summer safety advice regarding BBQ’s and bonfires."