A FAMILY were swift to act when a fire broke out in their microwave.

The incident happened yesterday just after 4.30pm at their home in Bicester when they were alerted by their smoke alarm to the fire in the kitchen.

ALSO READ:Woman rescued after getting trapped in river

They immediately shut the door to the room as well as other doors on the quickest way out while collecting their young child and called 999 from outside their house.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service says: "Whilst the damage was confined to the food in the microwave, unchecked it could have easily gone unnoticed and caused significant damage, but having a working alarm and following those simple steps made all the difference."